Community, Collaboration & Celebration through Sport in Toowoomba, with Invictus Australia
Invictus Australia and Defence Health brought the sport, fun and community connection to Toowoomba Queensland recently, to mark the Legacy centenary torch relay event, which came through Toowoomba on Wednesday 14th June, 2023.
The event was a moment for the local Defence community to get active & connected against the backdrop of sport, to mark the momentous occasion.
Over 120 members of the local Defence community enjoyed the free, festival vibes with activities for all ages including basketball, lawn games, table tennis, pickleball and drone racing.
Partnering with National Sporting Organisations and activating at a local level in this manner is a hallmark of Invictus Australia’s unique model in the ex-service space, to leverage the sophisticated systems already in place to deliver value to veterans and families through local collaborative efforts.
Plenty of family-friendly activities were also on offer including facepainting, colouring, a mini obstacle course, goodie bags, lucky door prizes, coffee and slushies
“The variety on offer, it was good to see pickleball. The kids loved the basketball, facepainting and slushies. The location was super handy. Being met by smiling faces was great too!”
The sport-fueled day is a wonderful example of how Invictus Australia & Defence Health align on key priorities – the health of veterans and families, sport and meaningful connection. We look forward to working more closely with Defence Health at local activities around the country.
With Regional staff now in Toowoomba, Adelaide, Nowra, Newcastle, Perth, the ACT and Victoria, Invictus Australia is dedicated to reaching more in the Defence community, to strengthen mental, physical and emotional heath & wellbeing through sport.
collaboration is key
Invictus Australia has always operated on the model that we can do more together, looking for ways to bring established organisations together for impact.
Organisations that made this event a success include:
- Basketball Academy Highfields, operated by Wayne Dobson an ex-serving member and current contractor with the ADF.
- FPV Rebels, a drone flying group from Brisbane who often have ADF personnel pilot their drones in their spare time.
- Matt Hanson from Toowoomba Pickleball Association, who is helping introduce this fast growing sport to the Toowoomba people! Read more about our new partnership with Pickleball Australia soon.
- RSL Queensland – Western District provided a stall and had staff available for those attending to speak to about their services
- Toowoomba Defence Families Support Association provided activities and facepainting for the children
Huge thanks to all involved – we are Unconquered Together and can make such a larger impact!
“I enjoyed the day, because I was made to feel comfortable and the people that had stalls at the event put in a great effort, it was a good day with the family. Everything was great, we had a wonderful time.”
Looking to get involved in sport in your region? Connect with our staff through your regions Facebook group or email firstname.lastname@example.org